Thursday, March 29, 2012

No Chocolate?!

You just heard those fateful words, “I'm sorry to inform you of this, but you are allergic to chocolate.” Despite all sensible thoughts that could be running through your mind, the one overwhelming image is, “NOO!” All minor thoughts jumbled and knotted together like a bag of yarn include, “How will I survive without chocolate?” and “Is my life at an end?” and “How can something this terrible happen to me?” and “What will I do now that I'm allergic to the world's favorite sweet?”

I developed my chocolate allergy when I was 18. At that point, I was old enough to notice the empty void that was left when all chocolate departed out of my life. My father was lucky enough to get his chocolate allergy when he was very young, so he has no idea what he is missing. But I am comforted in the fact that someone near to me is also deprived of the world's favorite sweet.

However, I have discovered that a chocolate allergy is NOT the end of the world. It may seem that way but, in reality, this allergy opens a whole new world of sweets and treats waiting for consumption. Through tasting and searching, new desserts can and will be found to fill the “chocolateless” hole in life. I have already begun forming a new list of favorite sweets and I will share them with you here in this blog.

Life can go on as normal even though chocolate is gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment