Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Gingerbread, Sweet, Sweet Gingerbread




Most people think of gingerbread as a holiday treat. Something spicy and thick and delicious to be eaten and enjoyed with the smell of pine needles close beside and the chill of lacy snowflakes out your window. But I say to you: Gingerbread is NOT only for the holidays! We can eat gingerbread any day of the year. And for me, I could eat gingerbread every day of the year. 




I'm guessing that we usually associate gingerbread with holidays is because we are constantly seeing them in red and green and as beautifully decorated snowflakes.






But where was I? Oh, yes... I love gingerbread. Gingerbread cookies, gingerbread cake. If it's got gingerbread in the name, I'll eat it! 




It's long been a mystery to me exactly why I love gingerbread so much. It's just so difficult to explain. But I'll try anyway. *clears throat* Gingerbread is awesome because... well, it's delicious for one. That spicy ginger flavor warms you with every delicious bite. And then when you accent that spicy flavor with a dab of cool whipped cream... ahhhhh!! 




But what else about gingerbread? Did you know that ginger has medicinal properties? Ginger tea and ginger ale (nonalcoholic) are used to calm upset stomachs, and added to your dishes, it can reduce your chances of feeling the discomfort of inflammation. So eating gingerbread is very healthy. 




Gingerbread is fun to bake with because there are so many different things you can do with it. Most of the time you see it in the shape of a cheerful, plump man with raisin or icing eyes and buttons. For some odd reason, gingerbread men always remind me of that one episode of Little Bear when all of the gingerbread cookies run away before Little Bear and his friends can eat them. However, I myself have never had any trouble with runaway gingerbread cookies... probably because I eat them too quickly!




And then there's always the popular gingerbread house. Those are always fun. Though, I am sad that all that gingerbread, pretty as it is decorated like that, cannot be eaten. I've been told that these houses are just for decoration. How disappointing.




Well, I don't know that there's much more to say on gingerbread. Just writing this post and searching for pictures to include in it has made me terribly hungry. I'm always in the mood for gingerbread, and now I am desperately in that mood. Unfortunately, my sister (the main baker in our house) is of the impression that gingerbread is to be reserved for holidays. Yes, I know. Devastating. I'm working on her.




Oh! And did you know that today, June 5th, is National Gingerbread Day? Whoever made this holiday is a gingerbread lover after my own heart! To celebrate the glories of gingerbread without having to wait for the end of the year holidays! Ahhh!!




I love gingerbread! 

2 comments:

  1. I love gingerbread and strawberries and cream. Have you ever made gingerbread pancakes? Yummy!!do come see my giveaway !http://savoriesoflife.blogspot.com/2012/06/two-giveaways.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never tried gingerbread pancakes, but I'd love to! I bet they're delicious!! My sister makes pumpkin pancakes a lot, and I really enjoy those!

      Delete